The Whizpops‘ released their new album, “Ranger Rick’s Trail Mix Vol. 1”, back in May for National Endangered Species Day. A band named the Whizpops? Ranger Rick? Endangered Species? We were skeptical that this album would fall into the trap of trying too hard and limit its appeal. Instead, “Ranger Rick’s Trail Mix Vol. 1” perfectly balances fun melodies, danceable grooves, and educational messages that all ages can enjoy!
So how does a Full Van Fun review work? Each member of the family listens to each song and scores it as AWESOME, average, or not awesome. We total up the scores for each song as well as the whole album (e.g. if everyone in the family scores every song as AWESOME, then the album would be 100% AWESOME, if everyone scores every song as average, it would be 50% AWESOME, etc.).
The Songs We Liked
- Black Footed Ferret (100% AWESOME) – With tapping piano and a rapping ferret, this song is a jazzy pop ode to these opportunistic endangered prairie dog predators.
- Bison (100% AWESOME) – The Whizpops ability to combine multi-layered rhythms and melodies is perfectly illustrated in this stirring lament for the fate of the bison.
- Extinction Really Stinks (100% AWESOME) – This power ballad epic finale reflects the melodies and message of the entire album in a single symphonic treat.
- California Condor (94% AWESOME) – Organ, reggae beats, strong harmonies and clever use of “carry on” made this scavenger anthem nearly perfect.
The Songs We Didn’t
- None! All the songs scored at least 69% AWESOME!
Overall, we give the Whizpop’s “Ranger Rick’s Trail Mix Vol. 1” an excellent 84% AWESOME (in other words, better than 4 out of 5 stars). With three songs at 100% AWESOME (plus one at 94%) and none we didn’t like, you can dance, learn, and celebrate endangered species everyday with the Whizpops and “Ranger Rick’s Trail Mix Vol. 1“!
Don’t forget to check out our other album reviews and #8isEnoughQuestions interviews with artists like LARD Dog, Renee Stahl, Gustafer Yellowgold, Frances England, Sugar Free Allstars, Mista Cookie Jar, The Not Its, Mike Phirman, Danny Weinkauf of They Might Be Giants, Turkey Andersen, Lucky Diaz and Alisha Gaddis, Bryan Vander Ark of The Verve Pipe, Josh and the Jamtones, Play Date, Recess Monkey, Andrew and Polly, Greg Page (Original Yellow Wiggle), Rissi Palmer, Jim Cosgrove, and Tim Kubart. For even more, sign up for our mailing list and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest and don’t miss anything!
Sign up for our mailing list and don't miss any Full Van Fun!
Disclosure: Full Van Fun was provided a copy of the album for possible review.